Friday, January 25, 2008

Last night as a great show at Fibber's and I had a blast. Today, I came across a couple of things I think might interest or amuse you all.

Photobucket

The first is your humble narrator all bedecked out in a Hell Bop bowling shirt from the psychobilly club I found today. I love that genre of music, so I joined the group and am looking forward to hanging out there.

Of course, for you steampunkers out there, you might dig the hat. I don't recall the name of the place I purchased it from, but I do remember that the locale where I am standing is called "The Block," a somewhat inner-city, urban type environment.

I love those sorts of places, although most of them in SL are, for some inexplicable reason, involved in the "rape" roleplay thing. Nothing against it, mind - but I just like soaking in the ambiance, not roleplaying rape with random strangers.

A friend of mine, from way back before I arrived in Caledon, had contemplated setting up a sort of post-Apocalyptic 70s New York City sim, sort of a cross between Fallout and the Taxi Driver/Warriors/Escape from NY sorts of films that showed NYC at its most decayed and fallen. It was a nice idea - though he vanished before any actual headway came underway due, I suspect, to his girlfriend who didn't take kindly to his romantic entanglements within SL.

The second image is from a flickr set called Understanding Art for Geeks.

Photobucket

Most of them are funny, but that one really charmed me, obviously, not only because I love the painting (for those who are not into art, it's the centre panel of Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights) but because I love SL as well. Wikipedia notes that the central panel, "depicts an orgy of festivity and may be a warning to the viewer to avoid a life of sinful pleasure."

Of course, that interpretation may be wrong if one follows the line of thinking that Bosch was an Adamite. The Adamites were part of certain heretical Christian sects that popped up every now and then (and was subsequently persecuted back underground by the church) in a sort of Theological Whack-A-Mole that stressed nudism and a lack of original sin. All believers were justified to engage in whatsoever activity they wished... and given humanity's so-called "carnal" inclinations and the sexaphobia of the Church naturally lent itself wonderfully to orgiastic rites and sacraments.

Given that we know very little about Bosch outside of his art, it's as good an interpretation as any; and SL is, at least to some, a veritable orgy!

However, given my experiences with SL, I think the Duchamp work, Nude Descending a Staircase, is much more apt.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Eladrienne Laval said...

That's a cool look for you Pucky!

And you know how I feel about El Bosco! Forget Las Meninas or the Goyas...THAT was the #1 piece I had to see when I went to the Prado...heh. What does that say about me? *laughs*