Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A dear friend got me a couple of luverly outfits as a rez-day gift (I was 'born' the 21st of Dec, I think, a couple years back). Unfortunately, SL is apparently dicking around with code or something so I haven't thought to grab pics for the blog yet.

I spent the morning with Lady Primbroke and am contemplating re-designing my home a bit... mostly just a colour-scheme change, after I saw La Fee Verte out in Winterfell Absinthe and fell in love with the greens abounding in the shop. Green curtains, green walls, polished wood furniture with green cushions, etc.

Lady Primbroke also set out some nice late-winter flora for me out front. The front of my lawn is looking a tad chaotic now. I've a Caledon flag, a Steampunk flag (that being a cog, designed I think by Dr. Rafael Fabre), an Irish flag (of course) and a German Republic flag (denoting both the 'other half' of my ancestry and my interest in 1920s Germany; the decadence of Berlin, the Weimar Republic, etc.).

Strangely, sims devoted to this specific era don't appear to exist - although I suppose that has more to do with fear over the burgeoning Nazi movement that started in this era - obviously Nazi symbols, while clearly historical are also (unfortunately) clearly still used by the simple-minded for more than just an interest in a horrific period of history. They're pretty much banned by the TOS, which I agree with - but it does put a bit of a hamper on setting up things based upon that era. People are more inclined to using such an era for hatred than for celebration of the intellectual and artistic achievements of the time or the sexual liberation that was forever immortalized in the musical and film "Cabaret."

We need more public interest in German expressionism, cabaret and other "degenerate art" and less in hate. More Fritz Lang, Anita Berber, Berholt Brecht, Herman Hesse and FW Murnau and less in fascist filth.

Of course, as we Americans have seen, at least, that's not very likely any time soon.

Which reminds me - I need to pick up Voluptuous Panic one day. Anything that inspired the Dresden Dolls has to be good! Also, I totally crush on Amanda Palmer.

No comments: