Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Plea for Honesty

Friends,

I have recently read two separate disturbing articles about deceit on the aethernet. The first is about so-called "gender bending" within our own Second Life, here at the Herald. The other is about an incident ending in murder, at Wired.

Both stories involve people pretending to be someone they're not - in fact, the second involves two folks.

All that I ask is that, if feelings are involved, do be honest. Roleplay, fun, chat are all good and well - but if feelings are involved in the mix, especially with promises of real life meeting, be honest.

Those I know are honest, at least in private. I know a few people who do the gender-bending thing (altho a couple are people contemplating and planning a surgical sex change) and they are honest in private, to close friends and to potential SL lovers/partners. It's very important.

Bear in mind that behind our steampunk babbage laptops, there are real people with real emotions and real feelings. Harm none, please. This is not addressed to anyone specific, mind you. Just some thoughts from reading both of these articles, especially the last one, which is profoundly tragic.

Be good, be honest and love others. That's all you need to do. It isn't that hard. If I am the first to come out and say, "Yeah, I have health problems, I am in a wheelchair and I have other smaller birth defects" - none of which are likely to attract anyone, ladies or otherwise, haha! -then you can too.

yrs,

Puck

No comments: