Children (as in rl under 18, not kid avis) are, of course, not permitted in SL. Nevertheless, the Lindens feel a compelling need to make us all prove our age irl to access "mature" material.
Even better? This system is set up by a third party - a third party we know precious little about! In reply to this absurd proposition, a lady named Chrysala said:
OMG here it is. glad i’ve not gone premium yet, and won’t be now.
minors aren’t allowed, but we have to protect minors
to be trusted in second life, bring your full first life in.
integrity, the politically-connected company got it’s wedge in, and will split second life asunder.
it will initially be free for me to log into my home sim if i act fst, otherwise i’ll have to pay… way to make it “optional”.
cancelling all ads now.
to which I can but say, Amen.
How effing ridiculous.
I don't *want* to give up more information for "trust." I'm utterly honest, but I think the *point* of the internet is that I could just as easily be a 40 year old woman who is involved in Real Estate as I could be the 28 year old bad-ass that I am in reality. Unless you're trying to run a charity thing (i.e. I lost all my stuff in Katrina, send me money), you shouldn't *have* to state who you are or affirm your rl identity.
This is bullshit on a 1984 level. In addition, since this is at least in part being run by Linden Labs, you know this will be open to all manner of abuse, piss-poor support from the Lindens and will pretty much cause more problems within SL and more unease among residents.
Way to go, idiots.
Quite frankly, ANY group named "Integrity" has got to be full of bullshit to begin with. Something like that HAS to qualify as doublespeak. "See? They're good folks! They're even called 'Integrity'!"
Kristen Ming also pointed out that if one has to verify one's RL identity, it could easily cause trouble for the genderqueer community - yet another thing which is completely unacceptable.
This morning, I got an e-mail regarding a boat of mine I'd left at the shore of one of the islands in the new Caledon ocean sims. The boat had been returned, which is fine obviously, but this made me smile:
The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life:
Your object 'Bancroft Whaler' has been returned to your inventory lost and found folder by Desmond Shang from parcel 'Maritime Duchy of Middlesea' at Caledon Middlesea 109.759, 84.733 due to parcel auto return.
= Second Life is owned by Desmond Shang
= Location unknown.
If only!

2 comments:
Yes! Some very bad implications for the trans community! Even if showing your identity is 'voluntary', you know people will always just assume the worst if someone does not list their 1L sex on their profile.
As I understand their approach, none of this info will be listed in your profile for the entire world to see.
You'll be able to confirm say, your over-18 status, in response to a challenge at a parcel border. Kind of like showing your ID at a bar in real life (only the bouncer doesn't get to see your listed sex, weight, name, and home address...)
Also, you can confirm your age without also confirming your listed sex. (I'm using sex in the biology sense, as opposed to "gender" in the sociology sense which doesn't appear on your ID, heheh...)
Post a Comment